Silicon Valley Staycation: Stanford Park Hotel
Aug 21, 2018 08:50AM
● By Fran Miller
BY FRAN ENDICOTT MILLER
Are you in need of a little R&R, but don’t have a lot of time to spare? Do you seek a reprieve from the everyday routine, without having to trek to Tahoe, or Carmel, or any of the 2.5 to 3-hour drive locales within the East Bay’s midst? Maybe you desire a luxuriously plush bed, a quiet pool around which to lounge, and a crafted cocktail or glass of wine enjoyed al fresco while soothing live music plays in the background. If all of this sounds like a little slice of heaven, we’ve got just the spot: Stanford Park Hotel in Menlo Park.
Sister hotel to our local Lafayette Park Hotel and only an hour drive away, this lodging oasis is steeped in collegiate spirit, luxurious accommodations, and elevated service. Behind the traditionally elegant exterior lie quiet garden courtyards, fountains, and secluded private spaces. Stanford Park is a go-to for the exacting VCs and ‘treps’ that venture to the area for weekday business, but weekend guests receive the same red carpet treatment.
Here are all the things we love about Stanford Park Hotel:
- The framed Stanford Chaparral covers that line the walls of the bar. This bi-monthly humor magazine known as the Stanford Chappie has been published continuously since 1899. You’ll find covers dating back that far.
- The warm, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that are served nightly in the lobby from 9 – 10pm along with a selection of coffees and teas. Don’t bother asking for the recipe – it’s a well-kept secret.
- The free loaner bikes and the hotel’s proximity to so many pedal-worthy locales: Stanford Shopping Center, Town and Country Village, the Stanford Campus and its Cantor Art Museum and Rodin Sculpture Garden.
- The chauffeured house car service that takes and picks up guests anywhere within a three-mile radius – and that radius is home to many destination-worthy shops, restaurants, and museums.
- The relaxing pool and whirlpool with comfy loungers and poolside service.
- The lobby’s line-up of esteemed newspapers: The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the local Palo Alto Daily Post. Morning room delivery is available upon request.
- The bar’s craft cocktails and the bartenders’ aim to please. Do you want your Old Fashioned muddled or unmuddled?
- The wide variety of artworks lining the hallways, and the stately furnishings found in every nook. The variety and caliber are worth a wander down the halls and around the corners of each floor.
- Plenty of free, self-parking spaces – or valet for those who desire it.
- The state-of-the-art fitness center, the entrance of which is lined with historic pictures of various Stanford athletic teams: tennis, basketball, crew, and track. There’s even a photo of the Stanford band, circa 1907.
- The live music, performed by various local artists Wednesdays through Saturdays on the olive tree-twinkle-lit central patio that is warmed by two massive fire pits.
- Evening wine tasting receptions, Monday through Friday from 5 – 6pm in the lobby.
- Last but not least, the bar and restaurant are favored by a few NFL legends. You just might find yourself dining or drinking next to 49er great.
100 El Camino Real, Menlo Park (866) 241-2431