Ravenswood Flies Full-Circle
Aug 24, 2018 01:57PM ● Published by Fran Miller
A raven tattoo inked in the 90’s perhaps heralds the winery’s general success and its move to a place of its own on Sonoma’s outskirts. Ravenswood was a wandering winery for many years, with its longest duration – 10 years – at a one-time vegetable packing warehouse and woodworking shop. And anyone to get raven ‘tatted’ in the 21st century might be a fan of the adage ‘everything old becomes new again.’ Not many wineries can claim philosophical and winemaking consistency for more than 30 years, but Ravenswood can.
Much has changed in the wine world since 1976, but Ravenswood stands by its love of old-vine varietals and its believe in Old-World winemaking. Current director of winemaking and general manager Gary Sitton shares Peterson’s standards of continuing to create uncompromising wines that are beautifully representative of their provenance. From their Single Vineyard Designate wines, as unique as the individual vineyards they’re from and the people who farm them, to the County Series wines that capture the spirit of California’s best growing regions, and the popular Vintners Blend bottlings sourced from vineyards throughout California, Ravenswood strives to put what is picked from the fields right into the bottle.
- Walk-In Tasting: Taste a selection of six small-lot wines at at the tasting bar: $25/pp.
- Terrace Tasting: An al frescoseated tasting of a selection of six small-lot wines brought to your table: $25/pp, first come, first served.
- Barrel Tasting with Winery and Vineyard Tour: A walk and talk through Ravenswood’s old-world vineyards followed by a barrel room sneak peek of “what’s to come” and a sampling straight from the barrel. 10:30am daily, $30/pp. Reservation required.
- Library Tasting: Joel Peterson opens his personal cellar for the opportunity to taste Ravenswood wines over the decades. Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m., $60/pp, $50 for wine club members. Reservations required.
- Blending Seminar: Create your own perfect union of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, and Carignane, then take your masterpiece home in a 375 ml bottle. Daily, 10am, $75/pp. Reservations required.
- Private Tasting with a Senior Wine Educator: A wine educator guides you through a tasting of small lot Single Vineyard Designated Zinfandels while sharing the history of each vineyard. Sunday through Thursday, 10:30am through 3:30pm. $50/pp. Reservations required.
Make a reservation online or call (707) 933-2332.
Photos by John Curley