Another PlumpJack Winner: The Getaway Carmel
Sep 19, 2018 09:16AM
● By Fran Miller
By Fran Endicott Miller
From Napa wineries, to destination restaurants, to boutique hotels, The PlumpJack Group knows what its customers and guests want and it always delivers in spades. Current case-in-point: The Getaway, a lovely Carmel boutique hotel that caters to the desires of every visitor to this hamlet-by-the-sea. A central village location – check. Fireplaces to ward off the chill of coastal fog – check. A festive welcome of bubbles and bites – check. The name says it all; this 34 room inn at the corner of Ocean and Junipero is indeed the perfect getaway.
Like its sister hotel down the street, The Hideaway, The PlumpJack Group has again taken a mid-century motel and flipped it on its head to create a modern beach retreat. Though rooms continue to face a central parking lot and doors are exposed along outdoor hallways, hip and sumptuous amenities make-up for the inn’s original ‘motor court’ bones and create a not-necessarily-needed diversion. After all, the truth is they had us at ‘bubbles and bites.’ Here are all the things we love about The Getaway:
- The crisp, clean, coastal-chic color scheme of white and blue.
- The candy jars at the front desk, stocked with lollipops, gumballs, and gummy bears.
- The lobby-adjacent terrace that overlooks the bustling village scene. It’s warmed by a large fire pit, and cooled by a canopy of sun umbrellas.
- Mirrored barn doors that separate room and graphically-tiled bath.
- Mini-bars that include retro bottles of Coca-Cola and snacks such as incredibly delicious Torres black truffle potato chips.
- In-wall gas fireplaces.
- The six sets of adjoining rooms that are perfect for families.
- Comfy beds by Denver Mattress Company bedecked in sumptuous linens.
- The offering of puzzles, coloring books, and beach toys.
- An Adirondack chair-flanked fire pit.
- The lobby’s coffee table, stocked with a variety of peruse-friendly coffee table books such as those by fine art photographer Gray Malin.
- The proximity to serene Devendorf Park and the shops of Carmel Plaza.
- Bright blue cruiser bikes (with helmets and locks), parked and at-the-ready for a coastal cruise.
- A bountiful complimentary breakfast featuring avocado toast, yogurt parfaits, waffles, and frittata – enjoy in the cozy lobby, on the patio, or in-room. Coffee by Carmel Coffee Roasters is served throughout the day.
- A welcoming and friendly staff who strive to make guests feel at-home.
- And finally – those bubbles and bites. From 4 to 6pm nightly, head to the lobby for white and red wines (PlumpJack labels, natch) and sparkling wine which you can flavor with fresh fruit puree. Cheeses, hummus, spinach dip, chips, and nuts will tide you over until your dinner reservation at one of the many fab restaurants within walking distance of The Getaway.
Napa-based design firm Shopworks orchestrated The Getaway’s redesign to echo the hues of sand and surf. Walls washed in white create a bright, airy and welcoming atmosphere in the hotel lobby and reception area, while French Blue doors contribute a touch of whimsy for which Carmel Village is well-known. “Carmel-by-the-Sea has the history, character, and quaint lifestyle that we love so much at PlumpJack Group,” says Hilary Newsom, president and partner, PlumpJack Group. “We’re thrilled to grow our presence here, to become a larger part of the community and give guests another way to experience the destination.”
Photos by Steve Kepple
The Getaway, northeast corner of Junipero St. and Ocean Ave., Carmel