Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers
With the rise in popularity of plant-based diets and dishes, combining them with dairy products can create a superfood power couple. For example, the cheddar cheese found in these Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers helps optimize nutrient absorption from the rice, black beans, corn and tomatoes to create a nutritious and delicious appetizer or meal.
Find more recipes that combine the goodness of dairy and plant-based foods at milkmeansmore.org.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- 6 large sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans plain (drained)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a rimmed sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Slice off tops of bell peppers. Use a spoon to scoop out the peppers' seeds & membranes. Place peppers onto sheet pan; briefly set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together diced onion, cherry tomatoes, corn, black beans, and brown rice until combined. Sprinkle the chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper over top and mix in. Add 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese into the filling, reserving the remaining cheese for later.
- Stuff cavities of bell peppers tightly with filling, mounding a bit of over the top edges. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake stuffed peppers 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is heated through, the peppers soften, and the exteriors begin to wrinkle. Serve immediately.